What to Consider before getting a Custom Kitchen Renovation?
Written by Artisan Contracting on July 11, 2016
Renovating your kitchen is usually a pretty hefty task, and one that can make a big difference to your day to day life. It can also be costly if you plan on making major changes such as the fitting or re-positioning of features such as sinks, washing machines and dish washers. And not to mention the disruption. So it is important that you get it right.
Planning and designing a custom kitchen renovation is a mixture of hard work, a slight nervousness and of course the excitement of having a new kitchen to cook, eat or even pass the day in. If you’re planning on a custom kitchen renovation, you probably have some sort of idea of what you want in your head, or in a magazine. But what things should you be considering before getting a kitchen renovation?
- Visualise – The first thing that you need to think about is how you want your new kitchen to look. Visualise the space, think about what you want to use it for, what you want to have in it and what you want the overall look and style to be like. For example, do you want your kitchen to be a room where all the family can be together, eat together, or small and compact just for cooking? Do you want it to be rustic or modern in style? Do you need a lot of storage space? It might help to collect pictures from the internet or magazines – especially if you are planning on using a renovation company or designer.
- Appliances – Think about what appliances you will want in your new kitchen. Try to go for the best quality appliances that your budget will allow as they can be expensive and annoying to replace. You can guarantee that they will be used almost daily, and of course can add value to your home if you intend to sell it.
- Budget – It is important that you set yourself a budget and try to stick to it. A kitchen renovation can quickly spiral out of control as you get excited about new or extra aspects to it. Some people choose to enlist the help of a professional who can help you to price all of the different parts of your renovation, as well as run the project keeping you as close to budget as possible.
- Materials – You should also aim to get the best quality materials to work with. Kitchens usually have a lot going on and a large amount of people passing though, so try to get materials such as flooring at the best quality that is possible.
- Disruption – Remember that a kitchen renovation can be disruptive, and can mean that in some cases you might need to go some time without the use of it. You also might have to spend some hours at a time with the water turned off. Depending on the person or family you are, you might want to think about staying at friends or family for a few days.
Planning a new custom kitchen is an exciting yet daunting prospect, yet one that shouldn’t be taken lightly. It means that you will get a lovely, new, sparkling kitchen that will last for years to come.
For more help on designing your new customer kitchen, Contact Artisan Contracting right now!